Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Dark Knight, 4.75 Jokers out of 5!

This movie completely and utterly kicks ass. It met all of my expectations and I am excited to confirm that it lives up to all of the hype. First all the good stuff.
Heath Ledger stole the show. He is insanely amazing as the Joker. He completely yields himself to the Joker and it shows in his performance. I know this isn't the usual type of movie that fosters Oscar nods but he must get one because he deserves it. I haven't seen a movie this year that matches his performance. That being said, it makes me very sad to think that he is not able to see the audience and critic response to his role. I truly am saddened at the tragic loss. And that's all I will say about that.
Christian Bale was awesome (and so, so hot). He was fabulous in Batman Begins and the transition to Dark Knight was seamless. Luckily I saw Batman Begins the night before I saw Dark Knight so I feel like it made me more cognizant to Bruce Wayne's history and character.

I really loved the story- every twist and turn, they were all one fun trip! I liked the Scarecrow cameo at the beginning (Cillian Murphy is a creepy Mofo, but he is no Joker) especially since I saw Batman Begins so recently. I also really liked the cameos by Nestor Carbonell (that's Richard Alpert to you Losties) and Anthony Michael Hall. They were unexpected and pleasant surprises.

You might be wondering how this movie didn't get a 5 Jokers out of 5, so I will tell you. This is the bad part of the review. OMFG I hate Maggie Gyllenhaal!! She was horrible as Rachel Dawes. Look, Katie Holmes does not deliver Academy award winning performances, that's fine. For her role as Rachel Dawes she doesn't have to be a character that involves too much passion. This is what we need, a pretty girl who looks sophisticated and who acts like they have a good moral character. Someone believable as Bruce Wayne's childhood sweetheart. I think Katie pulled this off just fine. She wasn't awesome but she was believable. Now, Maggie Gyllenhaal.... oh where do I start. OK first, she looks like a middle aged turtle. She looks like a character from Star Wars, the one alien guy with giant flapped cheeks- look, I don't know the characters name, but that is what she looks like to me. An old, giant flap cheeked alien turtle. She was so not believable as Rachel because she is not pretty. Bruce Wayne is an attractive billionaire and that is who is in love with?? I don't think so. So, because I didn't like Rachel Dawes I took off .25 Jokers. The film would have been perfect if she wasn't in it. I would have even preferred a no name actress that was at least pretty. Like I said earlier, the actress doesn't need to have superb acting skills- she just has to be pretty enough and act well enough.

I don't want to end my review on a negative note since I loved this film. So, I highly encourage all 3 of my readers to see this movie. Run don't walk. Please see Heath Ledger as the Joker and be in awe of his performance. This movie is MellyButton approved!

2 comments:

Erin said...

LOL @ the middle aged turtle!!!! So true!!

MellyButton said...

Thank you Erin! I am glad you agree with me! Batman could pull a better chick than that right?