Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Fall, 1 star out of 5

Well, The Fall directed by Tarsem Singh (The Cell), fell short of my expectations. I really wanted to like this movie because I did like The Cell. I thought The Cell was beautiful and imaginative despite the plot being so-so. This film was not as beautiful as The Cell because the horrible execution of the story detracted from the locations, scenery and costumes. The only redeeming quality of the movie was the young star Cantica Untaru (she is adorable in the movie). I know what the director was going for, it's like having a rough draft of a script and filming from that instead of the final draft. I felt like there wasn't any follow through in the story. From the screen shots you can see how similar the feel of The Fall is to The Cell, but unfortunately The Fall just didn't captivate me and at times I felt my mind wandering from the movie and started thinking about other things (even grocery shopping after the movie) I wouldn't even waste my time renting this one, rent The Cell instead if you haven't seen it. You get the wonderful imagery and a better story.

Plot Synopsis (spoiler free)- In a hospital on the outskirts of 1920s Los Angeles, an injured stuntman (Pace) begins to tell a fellow patient, a little girl with a broken arm (Untaru), a fantastical story about 5 mythical heroes. Thanks to his fractured state of mind and her vivid imagination, the line between fiction and reality starts to blur as the tale advances. Click here for the Trailer on IMDB.
Very Jennifer Lopez from The Cell, right?
This looks cooler in the picture than it was in the film due to poor execution of the story.

No comments: